Monday, March 22, 2010

Kinetic typography assignment

Today I have finally finished my typography assignment! it took weeks to do a simple 30 second animation of any media which has words in it. This animation was done on flash.

The media I used was the song "Smyphonies" by Dan Black. The 34 second song clip I used is a calm soothing song. So the text I used was simple, stringy wavy text (not hardcore bloody, bold text) the background i used was a simple light blue and green background. But my background wasn't completely plain. I added moving circular objects in the background to make it more interesting. I used about 5 different texts in making my clip, and used over 100 layers! (it took a long time labelling them) i used many tweens, both shape and motion. I also used as much creativity as possible.

My clip represents simplicity, considering smyphonies is a simple calm song. That is why my clip had simple colours, background text, and wasnt very full. I kept it as clean as possible so the typograhy would match the music, which is the main purpose of the assignment.

At the end, the final result came out perfect! with some minor issues, i soon solved them and finished before the deadline. However, if i could change one thing, i would somehow tried to make the animation more eye popping and interesting. But considering my song is simple and cam, it would be hard to add more media to it, without making it to cluttered and messy.(it wouldn't really match the song, considering my clip represents simplicity)

Some problems I ran into in flash was how flash has difficulty n doing shape tweens. When i create a shape tween(even very simle ones) it studders and messes up. My solutions which I found was to add shape hints, just one added fixed it more, however not completley. Otherwise than that, i had no other problems, and my clip went by smoothly.

No comments: