Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Romanticism Collage

Romanticism was an artistic, literary and intellectual movement that originated in the second half of the 18th century in Europe, and gained strength in reaction to the Industrial Revolution. Our assignment was to express this form of art through collage or inking. I chose collage because collageing can have endless possiblilities and the ability to use materials freely and express them differently. Having a variety of colour and value is what I like to have when I'm expressing Romanticism. 
My idea I used to express Romanticism was the true story of a dog named Hachiko, "The dog who waited". This remarkable true story took place in 1923-1935, and a special breed of dog (Akita) waited for the return of his deceased owner for 10 years until Hachiko died.
To read more about this remarkable loyal dog, read this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachik%C5%8D


I expressed this story through romanticism, collage. The focal point was on Hachiko, while being watched b y many people of different races. I used the Golden triangle to make the piece unified, and I am happy how the piece turned out. The part that makes the piece unified, is the text (cut out of a article) of little words that put meaning into the piece. Wordings such as, "Maybe someday" or, "Love endures". I aimed for my piece to be simplistic while having a powerful message. 

1 comment:

Pam McFadyen said...

The link to the story is a lovely touch to your artist statement. However, you haven't clearly stated how/ why it would be considered a Romantic work of art. Be precise and prove your statements.